Disclaimer: The written contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect the opinions, policies or position of any institution or individual(s) mentioned herein, including the US Government, Peace Corps, the Government of Namibia, or its citizens. Any similarity is purely coincidental.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Summer to Fall....

Hello my friends!

Wow, there is a lot going on here these days! I have certainly jumped into life in Swakopmund, and it is great. I started singing with one of the most amazing choirs I have ever sung with: The Mascato Youth Choir! They are a group comprised of local high school age youth who sing traditional songs of Namibia and also European, Classical, and Pop. They have toured all over Europe and will tour Canada in May. I had the honor to perform with them last night for a function in Walvis Bay. I am super excited to learn songs in all the Namibian languages as well as have an amazing musical experience. It's always been a dream of mine to sing with a choir like this! You can check out their web site:
http://www.mascatoyouthchoir.com/index.htm
If anyone would like a CD, just let me know and I'll try to send you one!

Next week I will begin teaching a music class with Mondesa Youth Opportunities. It is an after school club for learners who live in Mondesa, the "location" or the former black township during apartheid (however, there are no white people who live there now). You can also check out the MYO website, and it will give you a great idea of where I live and the disparity between rich and poor.
http://www.mondesayouth.org/index.htm There is also a place to sponsor a child and give a child an opportunity to learn how to play tennis, have extra help with their schoolwork, and have a music class once a week. MYO runs 6 days a week and really helps keep kids off the streets. I am really excited about working with this program.

Life at the TRC is also going well. Last week I went to the Primary Schools in Walvis Bay. I had a chance to meet with lower primary teachers to talk about what their needs are and what problems they are encountering this year. First and formost, there are over 40 learners (students) in each classroom!!!! It is absolutely insane! Plus, the grade 1 teachers feel really overwhelmed because they have to teach in English. However, none of the learners speak English; they speak Damara, Otjiherero, or Owambo. Some of them may know Afrikaans, but that is only taught as a subject in some schools. There is no consistancy among all the schools, each and every one are different. One school may have a class where they teach in Damara and English, the other only Afrikaans, the other English only. This is the first obsticle, and the second is that teachers have to follow a new curriculum, which is entirely "learner centered." The concept is wonderful, as the Ministry of Education now recognizes that children learn by working in groups and with hands on activities rather than the teacher lecturing all day. But, teachers are struggling because they have never been exposed to teaching in this way. One of my tasks is to assist teachers and support them as they transition to this style of teaching.
I've also been looking into getting book donations to update the library here at the TRC (Teachers' Resource Center) and in the schools. From the looks of it, the library here seems nice and full, but the books are very very old. I will keep doing some research and let you know what I find out. I may need some help, so let me know if you have a little bit of time you could spare to help with research.

On a lighter note......I've had many nights of successful cooking! I cooked up a great curry dish 2 different nights, butternut squash soup one night, and apple sauce sour cream cake the next! I'm back on my health kick and have been running 4 days a week and am feeling GREAT. It feels so good to eat healthy food and not buffet style for 3+ meals a day. That's what we did during training, and the reason I felt so awful! Plus, I'm walking 3km to and from work everyday. I'm lucky to be in Swakop b/c most vegetables are available here. There are only a few I haven't been able to find on a regular basis, like eggplant or limes. It's not a big deal, it's just that when I want to cook something in particular, it's frustrating not to be able to find it! But all in all, I can't complain (ek kein nie kleiny!)

The weather is still really nice here, but I have noticed it getting cooler. The other day I had to break out my blankets and sweatshirt! Soon it will be Fall here. It's so weird to think of it as "fall!"

I wanted to send a HUGE thank you out to those of you keeping in touch and reading my blog. I have been able to talk with many of my peeps this week: My mom and dad, Juan, my sistah - Katherine, Katie, and Gina. I was able to talk to my PCV friend Mariel who's in Gobabis at the TRC too. I've also gotten a letter from Mandy, a postcard from Leann, Prabhu, Ashwin, and Priya and a long awaited package from my Mommy! I've heard there are many packages on the way too :) It really does make my day to hear from you all stateside. I have regular email access, so please write when you can! Thank you to Andrea, Sarah, Susan, Erin and Megan for being so great about emailing me :) I hope everyone is well and is enjoying a wonderful start to 2006!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Greetings from England. Namibia! Wow! You sound so "upbeat" but I know that being a volunteer in an unfamiliar land can be psychologically and emotionally very trying. It's great to confirm that there are still people like you - prepared to go out into the world to provide help and yes you will be rewarded - not financially - but with memories that will last a lifetime. Live each day to the full Pamela. How about some digital photos on your site? They're pretty easy to add. It would be good to see some independent snaps of Namibia.

11:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home