Disclaimer: The written contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect the opinions, policies or position of any institution or individual(s) mentioned herein, including the US Government, Peace Corps, the Government of Namibia, or its citizens. Any similarity is purely coincidental.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Training in Namibia

Hello Everyone!
I am here in Namibia, Africa. These past few days have been very busy, so I will do my best to let you all know what is happening on my end. We arrived in Johannesburg, South Africa on Thursday night (I think!) It was a very long flight on Wed from JFK. We were greeted at the airport by our Associate Peace Corps Director (APCD) and were off to our fancy hotel. It was nice to relax and hang around a bit in South Africa, however we didn't see much beyond the airport and hotel :( The next morning we were off on a plane to Windhoek, Namibia. As we were flying in, all we could see for miles and miles was well....NOTHING!! I heard some girl jokingly say on the plane "Um, where's the mall??" haha!

We were greeted by Peace Corps volunteers and a few staff and were on our way to a rest camp for the night. Again, it was a nice relaxing time (accept we now had to carry all our luggage with us!). The following day began with meetings and more information sessions. Looking around the room, I saw some very wide-eyes as the staff told us things that "might happen." However, once we met with our own APCD's, I felt much better about my job and what I will possibly be doing. We moved again from the rest camp to our training site in Omaruru. Our bus temporarily broke down in the middle of nowhere, but we weren't delayed too long. Upon arrival, we were very warmly greeted by the local choir...it was very emotional. Then we had another round of shots and talked about our medical stuff. Then we had to put up our mosquito net. I don't know why, but I think lack of sleep and too many people in our room made it really frustrating for me, but after an HOUR, it was finally up and ready to use!

Today we have been interviewing with the education people about placement to our permanent site. We should know by Friday where we will live for the next 2 years. I am very excited!!!

Everything is going pretty well here. Oh, and the woman who is in charge of our valuable belongings is from RICHMOND, VIRGINIA! That makes 4 of us from Richmond!

Thank you for reading and leaving me comments!! I really appreciate hearing from you all :)

much love,
Pam

2 Comments:

Blogger Zandrea! said...

Hi Pam-- glad you are there safe and sound and I look forward to your updates! Jane got her invitation this weekend-- she'll be heading to Senegal in March (so soon!).
lots of love, andrea

4:18 PM

 
Blogger g said...

Hey Pam!!!

So happy for you! don’t forget if there immunity challenge just kick everybody else at their feet and start running, if there bug eating just pay no attention they’re bugs – no really hope you have great time and keep us updated. I just landed a new job till the end of the year so back to work for me :(

Talk soon, take care,
g.

7:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home