Disclaimer: The written contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect the opinions, policies or position of any institution or individual(s) mentioned herein, including the US Government, Peace Corps, the Government of Namibia, or its citizens. Any similarity is purely coincidental.

Friday, January 20, 2006

When it rains.....

Hello to you all!

I hope everyone is doing well these days. Life in Swakopmund is really nice. I have a new roommate! Her name is Rebecca, and she is a Virginia girl too!! She went to school in Richmond, my home town. After talking, we figured out we know some of the same people. Isn't this a small world?? She is teaching grades 5, 6, and 7 at a school in Swakop through World Teach.

My job as a TRC is picking up. I've been meeting a lot of teachers and people who work for the Ministry of Education in the Erongo Region. On Tuesday, I went up the coast about70km to Henties Bay. It is another holiday town right on the beach. But, driving the whole way up...there is absolutely nothing but sand on either side of the road! It was kind of erie with the white sand and cloudy sky blending in together. Once we arrived at the school, I walked around and peeked into classrooms, introducing myself to teachers when I could. Afterwards, we went to lunch at this quaint little seafood restaurant called "Fishy Corner," then drove back to Swakop. On the road back, we saw flamingos just hanging out near the ocean. I don't think I've ever seen a real flamingo....only the plastic ones in people's yards!

Since I've been living here in Swakop, people have been telling me how it never rains here. Well, it has rained TWICE! The second time was last night, and man, it poured! And we have now discovered we have a leaky house!!! That's right, almost every room in our crib was flooded with water. And not clean rain water...nasty brown roof water. It was so disgusting. Our 1 roommate lives in a room on the back of the house, and poor thing....her walls were like a waterfall! So I guess the motto of the week is "when it rains outside, it pours inside."

Friends are coming to visit this weekend for a little Mexican Fiesta. I am dying for Mexican food! We're making Enchiladas and homemade tortilla chips with salsa. yummmmmm.

Hope it's not too cold back home! Miss you all :)

Pam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home