Disclaimer: The written contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect the opinions, policies or position of any institution or individual(s) mentioned herein, including the US Government, Peace Corps, the Government of Namibia, or its citizens. Any similarity is purely coincidental.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Introducing the MYO kids....

Hello everyone!

So I'm back in Namibia...I arrived safe and sound last week, and I wasted no time in jumping back into life here. Everything is the same, accept there are now *12* new volunteers here on the coast. I'm not the new kid on the block anymore, which feels GREAT. I feel much more settled and prepared for my jobs ahead. I know this year will be different...more focused, motivated, and goal-oriented. It's a relief to be in this place, really.

I wanted to share with all of you a bit of my work with MYO. I am super excited for this year! We have 4 new staff members from Canada, the US, and Australia. They are a great team already! But, I am even more excited about working with the kids again. I am starting up 2 small recorder groups, 2 drumming groups, and continuing with 3 general music classes. Whew!!

I was poking around on the MYO web site and came across a sponsorship page with all the children's pictures on it. Adorable! If you'd like to check it out, please visit: http://www.mondesayouth.org/donate/sac_donate.htm

I encourage you to look around and consider a donation or sponsorship. My friends all know how I am not one for asking for flat out donations or money, but I do encourage you to donate to an established NGO. NGO's know exactly how to best utilize the donations given. I support this rather than sending money to a volunteer directly. If you send money directly to a volunteer, it encourages dependance on that person and also sets up negative expectations for future volunteers. There is no level of sustainability with a hand out of money.

MYO is a prospering organization. I see first hand the positive benefits for these children. Their physical and emotional needs are looked after by all of us volunteers. We give them attention, structure, inspiration, as well as quality education in tennis, music and academics. The new volunteers will also be evaluating the children's home situation by home visits and regular meetings with parents/caregivers.

Please take a look at the web site and let me know what you think. It will be updated soon with our new grade 4's and our new volunteers. Thanks for your support!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home