Disclaimer: The written contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect the opinions, policies or position of any institution or individual(s) mentioned herein, including the US Government, Peace Corps, the Government of Namibia, or its citizens. Any similarity is purely coincidental.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Dune 7


This week has been so much fun! 7 of my fellow PCV's in Nam 25, plus 2 from group 24 are here in Swakopmund for a Ministry of Youth Conference. We've had lot of fun going to the beach and meeting up for dinner every night. Last night was awesome, because we drove out to Dune 7, the largest sand dune in this area. I think it's around 100 meters high (not sure how many feet that is), but it's HIGH! I made it to the top after climbing up on my hands and knees and taking several breaks. Once I got to the top, I was pelted with wind and sand. It was beautiful though, and we watched the sun set over the dunes. May friend Jay called it a 'happy place.' It truly was very peaceful. The trek down took about 5 minutes as opposed to the 20-30 minutes hike up. You just slide right down....lots of fun! I didn't take this picture, however my personal pictures will be added shortly (I need to find my camera connection to upload). This picture doesn't show you how tall this dune really is, but just trust me, it's HUGE.

After our hike, Mr. Fryar, our unofficial tour guide for the evening and Shoni and Jay's counterpart, took us on a tour of Walvis Bay. I've been to WB many times, but he definitely showed me places I hadn't seen before. He gave us a very interesting insight into what WB was like before independence in 1990, because WB was still owned and governed by South Africa until 1994 (I believe). You notice how much more affluent the town is, how wide the roads are, and how much more developed it is. It is certainly different than any other part of Namibia I've seen and heard of thus far.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Lucky lady! Tonight in Sheffield, England we had three or four inches of snow in an hour. White over! I guess you could ski down that dune...

9:51 PM

 
Blogger Randall said...

Nice blog,

I bet the dune is really something in person.

Thanks for sharing..)

8:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home