Disclaimer: The written contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect the opinions, policies or position of any institution or individual(s) mentioned herein, including the US Government, Peace Corps, the Government of Namibia, or its citizens. Any similarity is purely coincidental.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Moving Day=Yuck.

Right now, I am so exhausted. I haven' t felt this way since my marathon move out of Boston back in July. I think it is now confirmed that moving is one of the top things I absolutely hate doing. So combine moving, with not eating all day, and sitting in the hot sun, oh the joys of moving.....

I ended up swapping houses with a family who has been living in the hostel at Namib High for the last 5 years. I think all around it will be a much better situation for us all, as the house is much more suited for a family than 2 single girls. The flat at the hostel is really really big! There are 2 bathrooms, a large kitchen, large sitting room, and a nice braai (barbeque) area out front. Plus, we have the protection of 70 boys around us! (yes, we are now living at the Boys hostel!)

My day began at around 10am when I went with another TRC collegue to pack up the dishes and books. Then we had to wait around forever for the moving truck to arrive. The truck didn't arrive until let's see, almost 3pm!!!! Once it arrived, we had to move all the furniture in the house to one room in order to unload the family's things. Then we had to fun task of moving huge tables and wardrobes onto the truck. At this point I just kind of stood around, there was no way I was going to be able to lift any of it! Once everything was on board, yeah....the truck wouldn't start!!! (it is only now that I can sort of laugh about it!!) So now we had to go find the mechanic or someone with jumper cables....and it was already after 5pm. The entire town shuts down at 5. Luckily, someone knew someone who was able to help us out.

Once we arrived at the hostel, we were greeted with a dozen boys who were happy to help. Every time I thanked one of them for carrying something up, their response was "it's a pleasure miss" so sweet!

The day wasn't quite over, as I needed to get my room cleaned up and at least my bed made so I could sleep. My friend Foxy came over and we danced to music as we swept my bedroom floor. It was hilariously fun! It was actually a nice ending to such a crummy day. I am so tired and sunburned right now. Hopefully now I will be able to get a good night sleep. I'm sure if given the chance I could sleep from now (10:30am) until tomorrow. But, I guess I should get back to work though.


Blogger Zandrea! said...

Oh Pam, I can empathize after G and I moved this summer (our van also broke down, and it was 100 degrees!). But, overall I am glad you are in a better, safer place. Does it seem like you have much privacy? I promise to get something out to you soon, just hasn't happened yet. But I'll let you know when it does so you can start looking :)

8:47 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home