Disclaimer: The written contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect the opinions, policies or position of any institution or individual(s) mentioned herein, including the US Government, Peace Corps, the Government of Namibia, or its citizens. Any similarity is purely coincidental.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Common Namibian phrases

I was thinking about all the funny sayings I've been hearing over and over since I've been living in Nambia. I thought I would share a few with you all:


  1. I am coming just now - this actually means a person is leaving and will be back in anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours to a lifetime later. It took me until about last week to fully understand what this statement meant.
  2. I am telling you - as mentioned in a previous post, this saying makes me laugh everytime. I've heard it used a lot in story telling as well as informing me about the latest gossip around town.
  3. Neh - a common expression. I especially notice it when I'm talking with someone on the phone. "yes, this is Pamela, neh" However, I haven't incorporated it into my vocabulary.
  4. Full Stop - this is a phrase learners use in the classroom when talking about a period at the end of a sentance. I've also heard it used in the context of dumping a girlfriend or boyfriend: "I put a full stop on him"
  5. You must help me, do this for me, come with me, etc. - I noticed this phrase right away, because I've always used the word 'must' when something is a little more urgent or needs to be done right away. I thought things in Namibia needed to be done in a more urgent manor until I realized many people do not use the word 'should' or 'could'
  6. Is it?! - this phrase is used about every other sentence. "I love your outfit" Is it?! "I went to the beach yesterday" Is it!? you get the picture.
  7. Now Now - I didn't quite understand this one at first too, but I find myself saying it all the time. It simply means right now or hurry up. I often hear it in the context of "I am coming now now" Which usually means the person will be there within a few minutes.
  8. My dear - this is one of my favorites. All the women in my office will be telling me a story, "I am telling you my dear..." I think this one is so sweet :)

I'm sure this list will expand as I pick up more of the Namibian lingo. It's truly fascinating to me because I love hearing expressions and the context they are used. Also, sometimes I don't really pick things up until I talk about it with fellow PCV's and we recognize the phrases that are used over and over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home