Disclaimer: The written contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect the opinions, policies or position of any institution or individual(s) mentioned herein, including the US Government, Peace Corps, the Government of Namibia, or its citizens. Any similarity is purely coincidental.

Monday, February 27, 2006

What will become of this day?

There is simply no word to sum up all that has been happening in the last day, week, and now month. Chaos? Hmm....that's probably the best fit. I only slept in my new place a total of 2 nights. The place was not properly cleaned when we moved in, and honestly after being there for 2 nights, I was getting more and more disgusted with the condition. I think initially I was so happy to be out of the house and in a safe place that I overlooked the roaches and trash left behind. What I am now learning is that government property is often not taken care of, even by the ministry itself. I'm having a tough time finding the right people to talk to who will make something happen. The situation is just so frustrating.

However, things also couldn't be better! In the meantime, I am staying with my choir director in a flat in the back of the house. It is really nice, but best of all, she is amazing! She is one of the sweetest women I have ever met. She works so incredibly hard and has so much passion for music and reaching these kids in the choir. She has now asked me to lead the training choir which meets on Monday. This is such an honor, as it is great experience to work with young talented singers in a prestegious choir!! I am thrilled!

Secondly, my after school music class with MYO has great news. We had a meeting with 2 predominant members of the Swakopmund community who want to donate funds to support ONLY the music program at MYO!!!! This is huge! I am telling you, (a common saying here in Namibia!) with the classy teamwork of my counterpart Shannon, who wrote an amazing proposal, along with my music curriculum, they were very impressed. We initially thought we could get only recorders, however after I spoke of these kids never having formal music training, I would like to take more of an Orff pedigogical approach and start with basic rhythm instruments like xylophones and metalophones. They completely agreed with my idea (they are German, how could they not agree with Orff!!) and told me they know exactly where to get these Orff instruments for a good price. Amazing!

So, as you can see, I have a lot to be thankful for amidst all the chaos. Who knew I would move to Africa and be so involved in music here. Actually, it's been a dream of mine my entire life and now it's happening! Yay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home