Disclaimer: The written contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect the opinions, policies or position of any institution or individual(s) mentioned herein, including the US Government, Peace Corps, the Government of Namibia, or its citizens. Any similarity is purely coincidental.

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Make that Monkey Dance

So I'm riding my bike around Swakopmund, feeling the wind blow through my hair, and oops! a traffic officer flags me down because I'm breaking the bike helmet rule. I was lazy and didn't put it on.

I pull over, and he immediately begins the safety lecture. I'm expecting him to respectfully let me go after a few minutes, but not to his delight. He tells me that in order for him to let me go without the N$300 fine, I must pick my bike up and hold it over my head until he says to stop. This will show him how sorry I am for riding without a helmet.

I am amused. Was he serious? To appease him, I pick the bike up about 2 inches. "NO!" The other officers standing around him say, "Up over the shoulder!"

I couldn't bring myself to this public humiliation, so I told him he'll have to settle for the 2 inches of air between the tires and the ground.

He lets me go after 5 minutes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home