Disclaimer: The written contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect the opinions, policies or position of any institution or individual(s) mentioned herein, including the US Government, Peace Corps, the Government of Namibia, or its citizens. Any similarity is purely coincidental.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Now let's just get everything out into the open

For the last 3 weeks, I've been in the schools everyday. I'm invigilitating these tests to grade 6 learners for all Southern African countries. The kids are tested in English, Maths, and HIV/AIDS.

After the learners finish completing their HIV/AIDS questionaire, we go over the answers with them. Most of the schools I've been in, the kids at any age know the basics of HIV, how it is contracted and that one should use a condom when having sex and what what what. However, these learners were somehow struggling with even the basic facts. Let's start with the first question:

True or False: HIV is spread through vaginal fluids.

I glance at the 25 learners sitting in front of me. Eyes glaze over.

Hmmmmm, I think

Then my colleague chimes in "Um, Miss Pam, could you please explain to this grade 6 class what vaginal fluids are?"

Rrrriiiiiiight. I giggle to myself, only to think for a split second that this is my life!

THANK GOD!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home